Saturday, April 26, 2008

Spring Cleaning

Copyright Tattered Edge 2008

Yes, I am still here! I've just been taking some time to work on my studio. When we moved in, things were so frantic with Xmas coming and deadlines and then the new year was filled with a bunch of teaching engagements and before I knew it, the studio became a disaster area.

I am not a neat freak, but I can't work in chaos so this week I've been trying to clean up. I finally went out and bought myself a new work table. (From Ikea.) Believe it or not, I've been working on a 12 x 12 inch space for the last 7 years! It was time to upgrade a bit. My new table is not huge, but it's a fair bit larger than the old one. Of course you can't change one thing in a room without opening a Pandora's box. Once I got the new work table put together and into place, one thing led to another and I am now in the middle of cleaning, sorting and reorganizing.

My plan is that I would like to install some brackets and shelves in the closet in my studio so I can have a better storage system set up. Right now, everything is in boxes and when I need something, I have to take everything out in order to get to the box I need, which is always at the bottom of the pile. It's really annoying and a waste of precious time. The shelves should help alleviate this situation. I have really nice storage boxes with labels on the front that I can sort things into and then stack on the shelves. That will be the next project. Even if I don't get the shelves installed till the summer, I can still go through all the boxes, sort the contents and get them into the proper boxes so once the shelves are installed, all I have to do is put the boxes away.

I have also been looking through the studio organization books I own and getting ideas about how to make the most of the space I have. It's definitely a work in progress!

I did manage to work on some design work for Hannah Grey this week, before the cleaning bug bit. The image above is a salt box house journal which will be heading off to California shortly.

No comments: