Friday, January 22, 2010

Getting Down to the Wire!

I've been a bit quiet again, with good reason, as you can see above. I had to go in to undergo more treatments. Having an IV port in for 3 days made it awkward and painful to type, but it's out again, thank goodness!

Thanks for all the fabulous comments and compliments about my journal video. It was a pleasure to make and share it with you and I promise when I have more to share, (I am working on an Olympic journal now!) I will do it again. It just seemed like the easiest way of going through all that artsy goodness! I love my little Flip camera!

And now a couple of pics of me in my uniform! I haven't had it on since I brought it home. With the games beginning in a mere SIXTEEN days for me, I figured it was time to to play dress-up at least one!

The hat on the jacket is extra deep so that you can fit a ski helmet as per regulations if you are working on a ski hill. For those of us who aren't, we get to be swallowed up in turquoise! *laughs* Indy was barking at me because he couldn't see who I was when I pulled the toggles tight.

Later this coming week, I will be attending my venue specific training for the stadium. I also got the invite to come pick up the conversion kit for the Paralympic uniforms, but that won't take place for another month. I have to squeeze a trip downtown in on a day off the Olympics to go get it, plus some additional ID.

I have madly been dashing around picking up odds and ends of things I need in my backpack-extra batteries for my camera, breath mints, spare socks, a belt to hold my pants up (I keep downsizing and am in between clothing sizes at the moment!) and then tucking in all the info materials they gave us that we need on hand. I am trying to keep the weight of my back pack at a bare minimum, if at all possible because my shifts are long and having it weighed down too much is going to wear me out! Less is more in this case.

Funnily enough, the whole time I have been concerned with staying warm and now we are having a weather pattern that has me thinking we may be too hot. Yesterday I shut all the heat off in the house and had the windows open, as well as the screen door. It was still warm when I went to bed. When I went out last evening, I did so in a hoodie! Not a good sign for the ski hills, but a nice break from rain or sneaux on our level.

As it stands now, Cypress is closed to the public and has been for about 2 weeks. I believe this is the venue for half-pipe and sneaux boarding. They have enough manufactured sneaux from the sneaux cannons and what they stockpiled to groom the runs for the Games, but they can't groom it for the locals to run on. If this had been last year, it wouldn't even be an issue-last year we had more sneaux than we knew what to do with!

My next big step will be planning my travel route from home to the venues. The sky train is the most direct route, but there are rumours that there could be hour long waits to board and I am not sure I want to leave home 2-3 hours in advance to stand around waiting to get on the train.

I am going to try and plan 1-3 bus routes I can take and see if those routes are more expedited. I can also do a test run for the 2 pre-Olympic shifts I have and see how crowded those are going to be. I don't believe I will be travelling at peek times, but you just never know. This whole thing is a "wait and see" kind of game, an adventure if you will.

So, that's all the news I have to share for now. It's coming up quickly and before I know it, I will blink and it will be over! I did find out that the Olympic Torch Relay is coming right through my neighbourhood, so I can walk down in the morning and take Indy and see it go right by! That's very exciting. I thought I was going to have to drive to another city, but no! That makes me very happy and I have circled the date on my calendar!

Olympic spirit is alive and well at my house!!


Tina said...

It's so cool that you'll be working at the Olympics! I can't wait to hear about it!

Barbara said...

I really love that shade of turquoise!