Sunday, October 10, 2010

It's Turkey Day!!


HAPPY THANKSGIVING
to my fellow Canadians, wherever you are!!

I hope you are having a relaxing weekend. Indy and I went to Cranberryfest out in Fort Langley yesterday and had a wonderful time. The weather was perfect and I met some lovely people. It reminded me how much I enjoy being in a crowd of strangers and meeting people. I know that might sound kind of odd, but it's something those of us raised in Winnipeg (the heart of the Canadian prairies) understand. Winnipeggers can walk into a crowd of people they don't know and make instant friends. It's just what we do. Ask any of my friends -they'll tell you that's one of my secret powers. *wink*

The only thing that would have made the day more perfect would have been if my guys could have joined me, but they had to work. It was a 52 hour work week for them. (Yikes!) They're off for the next two days though, so today is turkey day and then tomorrow will be leftovers. I always think turkey tastes better the second day, don't you? I made the pies earlier in the week, so there's less to deal with in the kitchen today. I made both pumpkin and apple because my husband doesn't like pumpkin. (What kind of a person doesn't like pumpkin?!?!)

We got up early this morning and took Indy to the park for some off leash time and then headed over to our local Farmer's market. I love shopping there. We really have a fabulous market. I picked up some farm fresh parsnips and some beautiful rolls from the bakery truck to go with dinner. I can't tell you how happy it makes me to be putting my food dollars into the pockets of local Canadian farmers, rather than the big chain grocery stores. I try to shop local as much as humanly possible. Not only does it help keep those farms (and farm families!) in business, but it also ensures that our family is eating the very best of fresh, healthy food. It's win-win.

Anyway, it's almost time to get busy in the kitchen, so I will leave you with this beautiful piece of writing, which has become my favourite of the season.

Harvest Prayer

(Anonymous 17th Century Sermon)



Please be gentle with yourself and others.
We are all children of chance,
And none can say why some fields blossom
While others lay brown beneath the harvest sun.
Take hope that your season will come.
Share the joy of those whose season is at hand.
Care for those around you.
Look past your differences.
Their dreams are no less than yours,
Their choices in life no more easily made.
And give.
Give in any way you can.
Give in every way you can.
Give whatever you possess.
Give from your heart.
To give is to love.
To withhold is to wither.
Care less for the size of your harvest than for how it is shared,
And your life will have meaning
And your heart will have peace.

No comments: