Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Harvest


It's another glorious autumn day on the west coast of Canada! I can't tell you how much I love this time of year. This morning, after we took Indy for a romp in the dog park, we went over to the local Farmer's Market to see what the harvest had brought.


I bought some baked goods from my favourite little bakery truck. Their treats are to die for! I picked up cinnatwists, apple strudel and soft pretzels. You have to get there early to have the best selection because they're quite popular. The guy who runs the truck (and I believe owns the bakery) is super nice.

We also picked up some carrots, onions, apples and pears. One thing I loved was that the farmers had cut up samples of the fruits so you could taste and see which varieties you'd like to have.The apples we got were so crisp, juicy and tangy. There's nothing better than freshly picked apples on an autumn day.

It's at this time of year when I have a deep appreciation for our local Canadian farmers. They are the unsung heroes of our dinner tables. Farming is a 24/7, 365 days a year job that's incredibly hard work. It makes me feel good to be able to buy local-I like knowing where my food comes from and it makes me happy to support them.

1 comment:

greta ann said...

mmm! going to one of the local markets tomorrow! and apples this time of year...tdf!