Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Compliments

The nicest thing someone has said to me today:

"You have such an amazing eye with colour! WOW!"

Anyone who knows me well knows that I have a hard time with recognition. While it's nice to be appreciated, I do this inner cringing thing when someone makes a fuss over me. I have no idea why. It's not that I think my work is not worthy, but more the idea that I don't really like to be the center of attention. Isn't that funny?

That said though, when my friend Kelly said this to me this morning, it really meant alot. I know that I have the gift of colour and balance in my work. I think it's one of my greatest strengths. I can't paint, I am don't draw well, but I CAN do colour. I love colour and I love blending things together. This is probably one of the most intriguing parts of working in mixed media-blending together disparate elements and colours and making them work.

The funny part of being good with colour is that there are other artist that I admire specifically becuase they are good with colour. I look at their work and think "Boy I wish I could do that!!" It's odd that artists always think their work is not exactly where it should be. I think sometimes people think that someone is self-effacing of their work because they lack self esteem. I don't know that that is entirely true. I think sometimes it has to do with knowing there is so much more to learn and do and feeling like you're not "there" yet. I have to keep reminding myself that a compliment is actually a gift someone gives you. The trick to receiving that gift with grace is to stand in the moment and really own it, otherwise you're blowing off what someone is offering to you from their heart.
*sigh* I am still working on it. Thank you Kelly. Really.

No comments: