Saturday, March 18, 2006

Box of Blessings

Last night when I got home from dinner, I found a big box waiting for me at my front door. It was a birthday parcel from my pal Deb. Anyone who knows me well knows I am not good at waiting to open presents, so I got online and Deb and I got on our headsets in Yahoo Messenger so she could listen in while I opened the parcel.

Inside the box were a pile of goodies, one of which was this pendant, made by Shane Miller. Unfortunately, this is the best picture I could take of the pendant, but let me tell you, it is gorgeous! I especially love it because the symbolism of it speaks to me.

The vintage lady is perfect because I work with vintage images all the time. The bird in the nest reminds me of spring and my birthday, which is the day after spring (the 22nd) and the word "waiting" is ironic-I am the worst at waiting for things. I wait all year round for my birthday (I love my birthday!) and then once gift start arriving, I have to open them as they come-I can't hold out for the proper day! (Hey! Life is short-why wait?!?!)

Deb said she bought this at an art show she went to in Montana. (How I adore Montana-one of my favourite places to holiday!) I have emailed Shane Miller to tell her what a wonderful piece this is and how much it means to me to own it. If she has a website, I will share it with you once I have the details!
Another goodie in the box was this vintage card game. I have never heard of it, but it's based on a book and it features cards representing police forces from four Canadian cities. It's from around the 1920's and in remarkable shape. To my delight, one of the cities featured in the game is Winnipeg, my beloved hometown!! I think Deb said she found it when she went home to North Carolina to visit.



There were a ton of other cool things-hand dyed fabric and silk ribbon, rubber stamps, milagros, a nicho, vintage photographs, tea and so on. Then in the very bottom, carefully wrapped was another box, When I opened it, there was this wonderful Kewpie doll in mint condition in the original box. Deb knows I love Kewpie dolls and tracked this one down for me. Of course I had to put her arms up in the air cause all my Kewpies stand like this, ready for a hug or to say "I don't know!" They just make me smile.

Needless to say, Deb has spoiled me absolutely ROTTEN!!! Tracy Roos once mentioned to me that she read a book that talked about a number of ways people show love and some people's "love language" is to remember the things you adore and find ways to give them to you. I am like this. Deb is definately like this. One of the biggest blessings of my life is knowing Kindred Spirits like Deb. Thank you Deb for being the sweet friend you are and for loving me. Love you right back! xo

3 comments:

firstborn studio said...

sweets for the sweet from a sweetheart!
sending happy,joyous birthday wishes your way!
much love,
denise

Erika Tysse said...

Would Deb like to be my friend too?
Happy Birthday!
Erika

Lelainia N. Lloyd said...

Thanks Denise! :)

LOL! Erika! Deb is a gem!