Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Thoughts on Summer

Copyright Tattered Edge 2007
As of this morning, there are some new banners for purchase at the Tattered Edge Mercantile. I have to say making these banners is highly addictive, but this will be it for awhile. I have several irons in the fire right now that require my attention, not the least of which is a new project I am in the middle of with several friends. It's working with art and textiles and I am really excited about it. I think we are going to have some wonderful results. I will share more about it when we are finished.

I am looking forward to the summer and having some time to develop new ideas and to play and create some art just for my own enjoyment. I know the time is going to go by quickly! I've been thinking about new directions I would like to move in-new materials I would like to work with, new colour combinations I would like to experiment with...it feels good to have a whole world of possibilities stretching out before me. I want to visit the beach, I want to walk in the forests and fill up on the inspiration of nature. I want to take photos, see new places, meet new people. I just want to take some time to wander and explore and see where it takes me and what I learn. Isn't that what we did when we were kids? We would spend the whole summer having adventures and then come back eager to share what we experienced with our friends in the fall. I travelled alot in the summers as a kid so I always had great stories to tell. I want to experience all that wonder and joy again and come back revitalized and refreshed.

Another thing I love to do in the summer is to fill up on books. I haven't compiled a list for summer reading yet, but that's my next task. Reading has always been one of my favourite things to do. I love to learn and when I was a kid, I would spend hours in the library choosing books to fill up my hungry mind. I read everything from Anne of Green Gables, to Judy Blume, to books on the Holocaust, to the poetry of Maya Angelou and everything in between. I actually had to beg the library to let me have an adult card because the books I so wanted to read were not allowed out on a junior card. When I got the adult card, it was like I had won the lottery! I am hoping there will be some new art books out in time for the summer!

As someone who loves books so much, it's been really exciting to create art for publication in several books. Being able to go to my local library and see those books on the shelf and know I am a part of them is amazing. I just feel so blessed for the opportunities I have been given. It's really nice to have my exhibit up at the library and be able to share some of my world with people in my community. Art has given me so much and I love encouraging other people to dip their toes into their own pool of creativity. It's amazing how happy it makes people.

Okay, time for me to get back to work! I have to prep for my Mini Picasso class which is on Thursday. Happy creating!

No comments: