Thursday, October 18, 2007

Sheer Curiosity

So as I have mentioned a time or two before, I have been submitting requests for my library to purchase books I feel will be helpful for mixed media artists. When I first looked in my library for books on this subject, all there were were a few sad antiquated collage books. Nothing to light the fire of inspiration which is why you would look for art books in the first place. So little by little I have *secretly* been building the mixed media shelf, one book request at a time. It gives me great satisfaction to know there is now a nice collection growing back there on "my" shelf.

My latest request was Jane Wynn's Altered Curiosities. I was so excited to peek inside and see what all of Jane's hard work had come to. I want to tell you about it, but where do I start? This book is not only visually delicious but the insight into Jane's personal creative process is fantastic. I love hearing how someone's process works and the stories behind the art. Jane tells it in such a way that you feel like she's right there, filling you in over a cup of tea.

And the how-tos! Amazing! The photos and instruction are clear as can be and I marvel at how clever she is. She's thought of doing the most wondrous things with every day objects. Have you ever heard of "controlled" glass breaking? I never knew there even was such a thing, but now I am dying to try it!

I think when you read a good art book, it should allow you to learn something new and open your eyes to a whole world of possibilities for your own creativity. I think Jane has achieved that in spades. Altered Curiosity will make you want to go into your own studio, pull out those special one-of-a-kind art bits you've been hoarding and create something wondrous.

Speaking of creativity, tomorrow I go out to North Vancouver to present my workshop at the conference. We have had quite the rain storm going on here all day today and I am hoping it will have blown over by the morning. It was raining sideways when I went out this afternoon-I sure don't want to deal with that!

Tomorrow is also my darling husband's birthday. (Happy birthday my sweet, sweet man!) My son and I gave him a new iPod with more memory than the one he had (He is obsessed with getting every song he's ever liked on his iPod.*rolls eyes*) and it will play videos like our son's. That means I get his hand-me-down which is only a year old. (It was last year's birthday gift.) More music for me! My guys are gizmo obsessed. If I wait patiently, I will have another hand-me-down soon. Works for me! I love having my music on while I work. It's one of those "must haves" for me.

Okay I am off to pack up the last bits for tomorrow's workshop. I will tell you all about it when I get back. Wish me luck and in the meantime, go check out Jane's book!

No comments: