Friday, October 05, 2007

Thanksgiving


Copyright Tattered Edge 2007
Okay so I posted this pic out of sheer desperation-I have no idea which box the camera was packed in and even if I did, I have no idea where the cord for the computer might be. I had planned to post a pic of the beautiful autumn leaves around here but you will have to make do with the cover of this journal I made for a friend last year. The ribbon, purple rhinestones and bookplate on it came from the wonderful Papier Valise, who by the way have a delicious selection of Autumn/Hallowe'en themed goodies on their site. I especially love the black foil pumpkin head men and the orange German glass glitter-utterly magical!

It's been amazing to me how many good ideas have popped into my head since I have packed up all my art supplies. (Murphy's Law!) I have been dutifully jotting them down in my Moleskine for future reference. Once my new studio is all set up, I will have lots of fun things to do!

I want to wish all my fellow Canadians a very happy (and safe, if you are travelling) Thanksgiving. I will be cooking on Monday and our family will be sharing the holiday with my best friend and her husband. They agreed to brave our boxes and chaos and this will be the last holiday celebrated here. Maybe I should make that wonderful banana dish? *evil grin*

In closing, I wanted to re-post this piece. It's amazing how it's as relevant now as it was centuries ago. Wisdom is timeless.


Harvest Prayer
(Anonymous 17th Century Sermon)

Please be gentle with yourself and others.
We are all children of chance,
And none can say why some fields blossom
While others lay brown beneath the harvest sun.
Take hope that your season will come.
Share the joy of those whose season is at hand.
Care for those around you.
Look past your differences.
Their dreams are no less than yours,
Their choices in life no more easily made.
And give.
Give in any way you can.
Give in every way you can.
Give whatever you possess.
Give from your heart.
To give is to love.
To withhold is to wither.
Care less for the size of your harvest
than for how it is shared,
And your life will have meaning
And your heart will have peace.

2 comments:

Laura said...

This sermon is a beautiful sentiment! Thank you for sharing it. I have the same recipe book as you (from my Mom)...I agree that it is a riot!

Judy Wise said...

Thank you for the Harvest Prayer, it is beautiful.