Friday, January 04, 2008

News from the North

Hello everyone! I have lots to report. First and foremost, the exhibit is up at Poirier Library. It will be on display from now, till the end of of February. I just wanted to quickly remind all you locals that my two FREE workshops are coming up soon so if you would like to attend, you will need to call and register ASAP. Here's the info:

Exploring the World of Mixed Media & Altered Books
*FREE!*
Date: January 31, 2008
Location: Poirier Library, Coquitlam
*Seating is limited for these programs, please call 604-937-4155 to register.

An Artful Life:Mixed Media Journalling On the Go!
*FREE!*Date: February 7, 2008
Location: Poirier Library, Coquitlam
*Seating is limited for these programs, please call 604-937-4155 to register.

I will also be teaching my jam-packed day-long Altered Books Workshop at Place des Arts in February. If you've always wanted to try altering a book, but didn't know where to start, this workshop will teach you everything you need to know to get started.

I began teaching this class about 4 years ago and I can tell you it has been my most popular. I have even had the pleasure of teaching entire classes of teachers so they could take these new skills back into the classroom! Come see what fun this is!

Altered Books, Condensed
Date: February 23, 2008
Location: Place des Arts, Coquitlam

If you are looking to book private workshop or would like me to come teach at your event, please email me!

Okay on to other things. Yesterday, I went to pick up my mail and there was a small, padded envelope in my mailbox. When I looked at the return address, it was from an Etsy shop. I thought it was rather odd because I couldn't remember ordering anything that I hadn't already received. Curious, I opened it and found this beautiful folk tree pendant inside, a gift from my pal Deb. It was one of the things I had put on my "whist" on the sidebar here and she surprised me by sending it to me. THANK YOU Deb. I will cherish it and wear it often. *sniff*


After that lovely bit of mail, I headed into Vancouver for the day. Things have been so hectic with the holidays and all the moving, etc. that I decided I just really needed to take a day for me. I went down to Banyen Books, which is the spiritual bookstore in these parts. It's a large building with hardwood floors and floor to ceiling built in bookshelves. If it's even slightly spiritual, you will find it there. I like that they have a whole section for creative books-The Artist's Way, books by Sark, books about soul collage, etc. They have journals-beautiful hand tooled leather ones that just beg to be filled.


They also have a whole setion that is gift type items-incense, prayer beads, stones, angels, buddhas, meditation cds, etc. I love the section that has prayer flags, singing bowls, prayer wheels, fountains and buddha statues. I bought this etched "OM" stone to add to my studio, along with the Buddha CD sleeve pictured above. (Which I may just frame.)


Out front they have this cool carved bench. I snapped this quick shot of the lotus on it with my camera phone. I must have been in there for over an hour. I could have stayed longer-there are comfy chairs all over the store to sit and read in and no one bothers you. The atmosphere really is quite relaxing.

Afterwards, I grabbed a bite to eat before dropping by a friend's house for a quick visit and then over to Loomis, a local art store to buy a Moleskine. I got a red one this time. While I was there, I found heat guns were on sale for $19.99, so I finally bit the bullet and bought one. Now I just need to learn to use it without burning my fingers. I always forget they are wickedly hot-I keep thinking it's like using a hair dryer, which I do all the time. It's NOT!! You can actually do some serious damage if you're not careful! I need to figure out where to get a stand for it. I have seen them from time to time and I think I should probably have one. Safety first!

Anyway, it was really a good day and so nice to have some time to myself, to just do whatever I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it. It was a good way for me to transition back into my busy schedule now that the holidays are over.

I have some exciting pending news, but I can't share it just yet. As soon as it's a fait accompli I will spill the beans. I am very pleased about it.

Okay, that's my report from my little world. Hope all is well in yours!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful display Lelainia! Best of luck with your classes. I have no doubt you'll be a huge hit!

Deryn

Tara Finlay said...

Wow, everything looks great. I love the tree pendant! How wonderful!
You would have LOVED the asian import emporium we went to when we went to the yoga retreat. HUGE stone and wood buddhas everhwere, little tiny ones, etc. It was so cool. I wish we had our camera when we went. Next time I will bring it and blog about it.