Saturday, August 15, 2009

Altruism & Artistry



So remember those charms I created some time ago for a project called Ties That Bind that combined handmade charms and altered men's neckties which were then fashioned into a large art doll to be raffled off to raise money for Ovarian Cancer Research and Support Services? Well in the August issue of Art Doll Quarterly, they have a really nice article about the project. I just managed to get my hands on a copy yesterday- finally! And guess what? I can just see my two charms peeking out in the top photo on page 30! That was a lovely surprise!

In addition to the article in the magazine, organizer Aileen Roberts has put together a book with beautiful photos and content about the project, which you can both preview and order in either softcover or hardcover here. As with the raffle, ALL PROCEEDS will be going to Ovarian Cancer Research and Support Services. I have yet to receive my copy, but from what I've heard from others, it's had rave reviews! For more information about the project, please visit the Ties that Bind Blog.

While we're on the topic of artists making a difference, I got a very nice email from Jeanette Janson on Wednesday. When I went over to check out her blog, I saw that the most recent post was a call for artists to make altered bras for a breast cancer fundraiser that's being held in late September called Creative Cups for Cancer.

Having just finished my final round of chemo, (though not for cancer) I can certainly relate to how brutal treatment like that can be and I thought I would try my hand at altering a bra. Why not? I have to get it done fairly quickly, as I have to send it to the US and that can take up to 14 days in the mail so I popped up to the local thrift and found a teeny 32AA, brand new for a whopping $5 and I am going to start on it this evening.

If you would like to participate, just go on over to Jeanette's blog and leave a comment with a way for her to get in touch with you. I am sure she would appreciate it and I know that the women who the funds will ultimately benefit certainly will. You just never know when or if your body will betray you in some way-just look at me. If you'd ever told me I'd be diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis at 37 and battling like I have, I never would have believed you.

I can tell you first hand, knowing that my friends have my back and have been there no matter what I need, day and night, through thick and thin, has kept me going through the worst of it. And that's the beauty of the artistic community too-I see this kind of altruism happening all the time. It's so beautiful-someone puts a call out for projects such as these and each and every time, artists rise to the the occasion and answer those calls, sending love and comfort to those that are hurting. Art heals and transcends grief and pain. It speaks a language that every heart understands and is balm for the soul. When I see artist coming together like this, it makes me very, very proud of our community.

One of the most powerful things I ever read was this:

"Be kind, for you never know what someone else is going through."

Truer words were never spoken.

2 comments:

Jeanette Janson said...

You are awesome and a true inspiration! Thank you so much for helping out. I cannot wait to see your bra..I know it will be extraordinary!
xo Jeanette

Diana Trout {Nan.DT@verizon.net} said...

What a lovely surprise to hear from you! I had lost all of my bookmarks and am so glad to have your lovely blog back again!