Monday, May 03, 2010

Spoils of the Weekend

The weekend was given over to thinking about, looking at and and shopping for art and art related goodies. Sunday was the Got Craft? show in Vancouver and my pal Penn and I had made plans over a month ago to go together. Our friend Jennifer was vending there. Her table was a hot bed of activity!

We spent about an hour or more poking around and seeing all the wonderful things the vendors had to offer. It was like Etsy shopping, but in real life!

The photo above is of a pin wheel pin I made at the make and take table, hosted by Lilli and Henry, owners of the soon to open Spool of Thread Sewing Lounge. The are super nice and I am sure their store is going to be a bit hit. I am especially excited about the prospect of having access to mod style fabrics to purchase. Good times ahead!

I also met Penn's friend Natasha McHardy who does lovely screen print work. She's just launched her company, Penelope Brown. If you're not local, you can find her work for sale here.
One of the great things about the local craft fairs is that you can snag business cards and continue the shopping fun once you get home.
I walked away with business cards in every size, shape and colour. They were like wee pieces of art in their own right.
Penn and I went and did a little paper shopping afterward. Here's my pile. I managed to find some copper coloured button ribbon and had to have some.

LOVE this mod style botanical print on craft paper.
Circles, how I love them. I keep looking for cool circle papers.

This bird paper is interesting. I like the idea of small pieces of it, rather than a whole sheet. The colours are pretty understated.
These office stamps were a steal at my local dollar store-the tall ones were $1 each and the one in the middle was $1.29. All are self-inking. I am addicted to office supplies, truth be told.

This delightful little journal was a gift from Penn. It's an art project journal. It's got quotes about art plus pages where you fill in the name of the project you are working on, the date, the material you used and your notes. FUN!

It was good to get out for a bit this weekend, a nice distraction from the black cloud of illness that's been hanging over our heads. Sometimes, retail therapy and hanging out with friends is the best medicine!

1 comment:

Raven's Rest Studio, Jennifer Conway said...

It was great to see you guys - sounds like you had a great day! ~Jen