Monday, February 14, 2011

And So It Goes...


So...like the rest of Canada, I watched the special on CTV last night and held my breath every time I thought my segment might come on...but it didn't. Alas, it ended up on the virtual cutting room floor.

In the big scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. It was great fun meeting Dave and Jeff and by way of email, Tracy. It's another amazing memory (and story) to add to an already incredible Games experience. I also have a signed photo and handwritten card from Brian Williams who instilled in me an abiding love for the Games and set me off on this wondrous journey in the first place. I've been exceptionally lucky in all of this. Like I said before, my Olympic dreams far exceeded anything I'd ever envisioned. It's one of the biggest things I've crossed off my life list.

EDIT: This just in: CTV's posted my "Shared Experience" on their website. You can view it here. There is always a silver lining.

The photo above was taken on Saturday. It's dark because it was pouring rain. My teammate and pal Sharon and I stopped by the CTV booth to have our photo taken together. They had a blue screen and we got to choose a background we wanted to appear on. Well apparently, you cannot take a blue screen photo in a Blue Jacket. What resulted was the worst photo ever-we're two floating heads. I didn't throw mine away though-I'm putting it in my journal so when I look at it, I will remember how silly it was and how hard we laughed when we saw them. (And the fact that we stood in a torrential downpour for 45 minutes waiting to get our picture taken.) In a way, it's so typical of our shared experiences of the Games-completely unpredictable and hilariously funny.

One thing I failed to mention in my previous post was that about 2 minutes prior to the torch actually being relit, the rain stopped and the sun broke through the clouds. It was the oddest thing. Apparently John Furlong has pretty big connections!

This weekend (and the whole Olympic and Paralympic experience, really) can, in my estimation, be summed up this way:

"There is a community of the spirit. Join it, and feel the delight of walking in the noisy street, and being the noise." ~Rumi

Okay, so I guess that's it for Olympic coverage! If you missed it, I've posted an Olympic giveaway. It's your chance to have a small piece of the magic for your very own! Click here for details on how to enter!

No comments: