Saturday, January 07, 2012

Good Things Come

Living on the wet west coast of Canada, we get a fair bit of rain. I spend alot of time in the woods or at the dog park and the one thing that's guaranteed to make me ill-humoured is having wet feet. I wanted wellies, but not just any wellies. I was not about to buy a pair of UGLY gumboots just for the sake of dry feet. No how, no way! I decided long ago that the utilitarian things in my life need to not only be useful, but aesthetically pleasing as well. I am absolutely firm on this.

About a year or so ago, I was wandering Granville Island and in the window of this fancy-schmancy rain gear store, I saw this fabulous pair of boots. I went in to look. I nearly had a heart attack when I flipped them over to see how much they were. $90! Unbelievable! There was no way I was going to spend $90 on a pair of rain boots, even if they were pretty fabulous. I walked away, but have secretly been longing for these boots ever since.

Today, I decided to print some photos to make postcards to exchange with some of my Getting Through the Grey classmates. I submitted my print order online and then headed over to the mall to pick them up. On my way into the mall, I passed a shoe store and out of the corner of my eye, I saw the boots. I bolted into the store and grabbed them off the rack, turning them over to see how big of a sticker shock I was going to get. $39.99! I gave it about 2 seconds of thought before kicking my hiking boots off to try them on. They fit!

I marched up to the counter to pay for them and got real surprise when the clerk rang them up: all in, taxes and everything, they were $26!! WOOHOO!! Apparently they're having an "end of season sale" (which is hilarious, since winter only began a couple weeks ago) and boots are 40% off. I told the girl that these exact same boots were $90 when I saw them a year ago. When I got home, I looked them up on the company's website and there they are $70 US. I really got a deal!

Needless to say, I am THRILLED to have these beauties for my very own. It's supposed to rain again tomorrow, so I'll get a chance to break them in. I can't wait! It just goes to show that if you are patient, the universe will drop exactly what you want in your lap. (Or at least that's how my life works. I seem to be exceptionally good at conjuring things.)

If you need me, I'll be outside, stomping in all the puddles.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Those boots are fantastic! Happy feet!

Tara Finlay said...

I covet those boots! They are fantastic. What a deal!

Grace said...

Brilliant how the Universe works!

greta ann said...

those boots were meant for YOU! splash in some puddles for me! hugs.