Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Counting Crows


I promise this isn't going to be a melancholy post, though the image I'm sharing might lead you to believe so. I was out at Granville Island on Sunday and captured this photo of a crow, silhouetted against the sky, which as it turns out, make for an interesting image. The quote is from an old nursery rhyme, which I've used once before when creating crow themed art. It goes like this:

"One crow for sorrow,
Two crows for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret, never to be told,
Eight for a wish,
Nine for a kiss,
Ten for a time of joyous bliss."








I also came across the Mystery Machine while going down a random side street and yes, it's for reals! A few years ago, they filmed the Scooby Doo movies here and there were actually two Mystery Machines. Someone local obviously bought one of them. I was amusing happening upon it like I did. I certainly didn't expect to see that parked on the street.

I grew up watching Scooby Doo in the 70's. I loved trying to figure out the mystery before the big reveal at the end of the show. When my son was little, it became popular again. (Which also happened with Star Wars when they re-released it.) It was pretty cool that even with the generation gap, our childhoods had some of the same pop culture elements. He dressed up as Shaggy one year for Hallowe'en and for his 18th birthday/ graduation cake, we actually got him a Scooby themed cake as a joke. It had plastic figurines of Shaggy and Scooby and a Mystery Machine van on top. I wish he'd been with me when I saw it in real life. I'll have to see if it's still there next time we're in that neck of the woods.

There's one more week of Getting Through the Grey left. It certainly has helped me continue to shoot, despite the sometimes inclement weather. I'll have to post a mosaic of all the photos I took for the duration of the class when February's over. Boy the time has whipped by!

I'll have some more exciting art related news to share soon, so keep your eyes peeled!

No comments: