Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Art of Colour

Self-portrait

It's been a busy last few days. Swan Dive is humming along nicely. I worked on this self-portrait the other day and I think it's my new favourite. Vivienne taught us how to use a new tool that can erase any parts of a layer that you don't want covering up the original image. I used it on this image to take the layers off my eye, so the colour would be true. (Yes, my eyes really are that green.) I really think that one pop of colour makes the entire image.  

Here are some others I've done this way:



This is one of my favourite shots from Light Hunters: Getting through the Grey. It was the first time I took my camera out in the rain (I was super careful.) for a shoot. It was a horrible day weather-wise, but the first day of 2012 and I wanted to document it. I'm so glad I did.


I may go back and take another shot at this one because Dex's eyes are golden and I think it would be cool to also have them appear as they really are. The beauty of digital photography is that as you learn new post processing skills, you can go back and rework things. Maybe I'll do that today...



Speaking of photography classes, Vivienne is having a sale on the Light Hunter's e-book. If you purchase it today, it's 50% off-only $15! The sale price changes tomorrow and Friday, so if you want the best deal, snap it up today! All the details are on her blog.  

Light Hunters was a great course-I learned so much about finding and using the natural light as a focal point in my photos. I can't say enough good things about her classes-they have completely changed my life! (So much so that I just took a giant step outside my comfort zone and submitted 4 of my images to be considered for a special gallery show next month! EEK! Now I just have to wait to see if I'm accepted.)

1 comment:

Seth said...

Brilliant use of a single pop of color!