Thursday, May 24, 2012

Challenging the Myths: Disability & Art Opening


This morning, I'm backtracking to Thursday, May 17th, to the opening of the gallery show. This is the beautiful gallery at Leigh Square where the exhibit was held. The official opening coincided with the Rick Hansen Relay making a quick whistle stop in the square.



I love when galleries put a huge decal on the wall with the show info.  I don't really know why, I just do.



My artwork ended up being displayed in a large glass cabinet, as you first come in the door. Mine are the pieces framed in black. I'm not sure who the small painting belonged to. The gallery has a ton of windows, so there was alot of glass and light, which when combined did not make for great photos. Reflections were inevitable.




These are the work of William Skuse. He had alot of work in the show, all similar and yet different from one another. What I love about his work is the geometric patterns he comes up with, combined with the use of colour. He does his pieces using a humble set of markers. It reminds me of those giant posters they used to make in the 70's with wild pictures you'd colour in. I love that his work reminded me of this.


This is my favourite piece in the whole show. It belongs to Fred Collins. Sadly, this photo does not do it justice. Let me see if I can explain it a bit. What I believe he's done is start with a wash of water colours on water colour paper. Once it dried completely, I think he went over the base layer with a fine tip black marker, drawing meandering lines which were no more than 1/8 inch apart. The lines are very wabi-sabi and intersect randomly. Once he'd covered the entire piece with lines he want back and added bits of additional colour using markers. It clearly took some time to create this piece-it measures 22 x 29 inches and it's extremely intricate.

The show runs till June 10th, so there's still time to see it. There are 12 artists with a diversity of artistic talent being featured. If you missed the article in the Tri-City news, it's here.

I just wanted to say a heartfelt THANK YOU to all my friends and family who took time out of their busy week to come and see the show. I appreciate the support. You guys are THE BEST!

EDIT: This just in!




Late last night, our local newspaper was left on my doorstep. I just this minute looked at it and imagine my surprise when I saw myself in the paper! (Bottom left!) Twice in less than a week! WOW!

No comments: