Monday, July 23, 2012

What's Going On


Last week I was working on a secret project, a gift for someone I adore. It's finished and I've wrapped it. I would love to share photos, but I don't want to ruin the surprise, just in case the friend it's for pops by to read my blog. 

Meanwhile, there's been so much going on, I feel like my posts lately are always of the "catch up" nature. 2012 has been insanely busy but my month and a half sabbatical begins this weekend and I can't wait!

I was remiss in posting here that I was a guest photographer over at Chickadee Road, which belongs to my friend Liz Lamoreux and Kelly Barton. I ordered a set of temporary tattoos and then shot a few self-portrait photos of me wearing them. I LOVE temporary tattoos! You get to have the fun of wearing something cool without the cost or pain of real ink. (I love real ink too, but sometimes it's nice to be able to "accessorize" on a whim.)

Last night I got an email from Natalie Dixon saying that I'd won the giveaway on her blog, which was a set of 6 swatch cards plus free shipping from Paper Coterie. Cool! I am working on designing mine and can't wait to order them! I think they'll make a fabulous mini portfolio. The next time someone asks me what kind of art I do, I can pull the swatch cards out and show them. Works for me!

Other than that, yesterday was a long day documenting a ton of art that came in for Papergirl. There was so much of it, we were starting to run out of room, which, if you think about it, is a very good problem to have. We got creative though and managed to get it all hung. I just took a quick peek before I left last night (I was up in the office, working on the computer all day) so I'm looking forward to seeing the exhibition properly tomorrow night. I am pretty sure we've exceeded the total number of art pieces donated, as well as the number of contributing artists. There are going to be alot of happy people receiving the gift of art on the streets of Vancouver on Saturday!

On a completely different note, I watched Being Elmo last night. It's a wonderful documentary on Kevin Clash, who is the extraordinary puppeteer behind the little furry red guy. His story is a wonderful illustration of how hard work and preparation will eventually meet opportunity. It's also about staying true to what is in your heart, even when people laugh at you and how important it is for parents to support and nurture their children's creativity. Watch the documentary. I promise, it's uplifting.

Speaking of uplifting, there are only FOUR more days until the Olympics begin! I just got next week's tv guide with the schedule and I can see I'm going to be up in the wee hours alot, watching events live!

I also got this in the mail today:


It's a bumper sticker in support of Canadian Athletes! I'd call that an excellent mail day! Now I just need to stock up on Kleenex, the {un}official sponsor of my Olympic & Paralympic Games! Four more sleeps! I can hardly stand it!

Okay, I *think* I am all caught up now. Whew!


1 comment:

Carol Browne said...

That package looks amazing. The recipient is SO lucky.

I am really looking forward to the PaperGirl party tomorrow night. It's going to be great! I can't wait!