Sunday, October 10, 2004

Fabric Paper

I just got the premier issue of Cloth, Paper, Scissors. If you haven't had a chance to check it out, it is definitely worth getting. I like books that have techniques and good photos and instruction and this brand new publication fits the bill.

One of the ideas in the premier issue was fabric paper. You create it by watering down white glue, painting it onto a piece of muslin fabric and then applying ripped papers and tissues to it. Once you have the surface covered, you paint another coat over top. In the instructions, it then advises you to apply acrylic paints, but I didn't go that far. I only had about 20 minutes to spare amid Thanksgiving dinner preparations (it's Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada) so I just wanted to get the paper onto the fabric. Mission accomplished! It is now sitting on wax paper and drying overnight as per the instructions. Tomorrow, once it's dry, I will haul out my sewing machine and do some over stitching and embellishments.

I also got a brand new book called "Full Circle" by Lil Davis Designs. It chock full of wonderful journal ideas and the pictures are gorgeous. It wasn't cheap, but a good investment for me. I have already tabbed it. (I have those 3M tabs that you can apply and peel up and they do not damage the surface they were stuck to. I use them to mark my magazines and books so I can find things I wanted to make or idea that inspired me without having to flip through a million pages looking for things. When I am done with the page the were on, I peel them off and recycle them.)

Anyway, time to go baste big bird and get the veggies cooked. Happy Thanksgiving fellow Canadians. To my American friends, leftovers at my place all week! (Turkey sandwiches, turkey soup, turkey pancakes, turkey milkshakes, turkey surprise....)

No comments: