Sunday, May 21, 2006

The Goodness of My Day

Today was the monthly ATC swap in Vancouver that I go to. I am often making (or finishing) ATCs at the last minute, but I was mostly prepared this time. (Go figure!)

Penn and I got to the Grind a bit early and had just enough time to get a tall cool drink before people started arriving. (It was easily 30C today.) For awhile there were just four of us chatting and swapping, but eventually more people showed up, including two friends from Bellingham whom I haven't seen in ages. It was really great to see Ellen and Lynn and catch up with them. The bonus is that next weekend I will be going down to Bellingham for their swap so I will get to visit with
them some more! YAY!

After the swap all 10 of us trooped up to Ruby Dog's to treasure hunt for art supplies. I finally managed to put my hand on the current issue of Somerset-we are so slow getting it up here in Canada. I want to get it because my pal Deb Trotter is featured in it and I wanted to see!! Deb's a doll and I am just so proud of her!! Congrats dear cowgirl, you ROCK!

After my money and I were parted, Penn and I went back to her house to do a few things, including putting our heads together about the current collaborative book project she is hosting. I saw the pages and I can honestly say this one is phenomenal and I think the BEST one yet-the art is jaw dropping. I can't wait to see it all put together. I also brained stormed with her about an idea I had about my next collaborative and I have a good grasp of it now. I am excited about launching it!

Eventually it dawned on me to ask what time it was and I was shocked to find the hours had just slipped away and it was after 5 p.m. I made a quick call to my husband to tell him I would in fact manage to see my way clear to come home for dinner. He was sweet about it and when I got home I thanked him. I thanked him for being the kind of husband who is so supportive not only of what I do as a working artist, but also wholly supportive of my happiness. I married the sweetest man on the planet and I really feel blessed.

I lost track of time today because I was with my people-people who "get it" about art and I was just really enjoying not being someone's wife or mother, but ME. I think we all need that sometimes-to just let go of all the "gotta do", day to day responsibility stuff and relax into who we are when all that falls away. It's freeing and very happy-making. Those are the times when my soul feels fed. I am blessed with a husband who is wise enough to realize that if I can be free to do that sometimes, it makes for a happier me, which in turn makes everyone else happy because I am relaxed and joyful.

It's raining out now and I am delighted. It's been really hot this week and there is something so comforting about hearing the rain fall. It smells utterly delicious. I am blissful and content.

1 comment:

Heather Simpson-Bluhm said...

It sounds like you had a truly fabulous day. I am jealous as I have yet to find anyone who "gets it" very close to me. I have to rely on the mail, but thank goodness for the internet!! I can't wait to be with my peeps at AFF!