Sunday, July 15, 2007

July's ATC Swap

Copyright Tattered Edge 2007
Just back from the Vancouver ATC swap! I had a great visit on the drive there and back with my pal Sandy. Lots of folks showed up which was nice to see, given that it's the summer and people tend to be away on holidays. I'd made just enough ATCs to get by this time! (Usually I run out and then more people show up.) I had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with Susan who was new today. As luck would have it, she lives just across the water from me, so hopefully we will be able to get together and talk art sometime soon.

There was a lively chat about how several of us are organizing (reorganizing?) our work spaces and supplies. It was interesting to hear what works for everyone and amusing to know that a messy studio is the norm. Nina was bemoaning that fact the other day, but I say that's part and parcel of being creative. Granted, there are times when you have to stop and reorder things because you can run out of surface space to work on (or lose your projects and tools altogether in the chaos!) but a messy studio usually means something wonderful is happening there! Mine is not neat as a pin all the time-sometimes I have stuff scattered all over the table and on the floor. *looks around* Yup, today, it's a bit of a mess-not a huge mess, but there's definitely things that need to be put away.

Most of the ladies who were sharing in our discussion agreed that their supplies needed to be in containers that were either labeled or you could see through so you would know what was in them. I have been on a crusade since the beginning of summer to order, store and label my essentials. So far it's going well and I can already see what a difference it's made in terms of saving time. I am not hunting high and low for every little thing I need and that's made all the hard work worth it. I still have more to do, but it's satisfying to see the results.

Okay, that's it for me today! I am off to look through the big bag of handmade papers Sandy kindly gifted me with...looks like lots of good stuff!

No comments: