Thursday, August 09, 2007

Publishing News!

So many exciting things are happening lately, that I actually have had to make a list so I don't forget to blog about them! Today I wanted to share with you the cover of a new collaborative jewellery book I was invited to create work for. "A Charming Exchange" by Ruth Rae & Kelly Snelling is due to hit the shelves in July 2008.



It's always so odd to be making art up to a year in advance. The lead times are so long in publication that by the time I see it in print, I've almost forgotten what I did! I worked on my pieces back in December and sent them off in January so it will be a year and a half between creation and publication this time. Fortunately, I have been able to see the finished products of the pieces my work was added to and let me tell you, they are pretty spectacular! Ruth has done an amazing job taking all of our creations and marrying them together into beautiful jewellery. The book is destined to be filled with eyecandy!





This little pendant was made for a friend of mine's birthday. I bought a string of blue freshwater pearls the last time I was at the bead shop and they worked perfectly for this. I had planned to treat the copper with liver of sulphur to age it so it would match the rusted bird, but unfortunately, my sulphur was too old and no longer works. I explained to her the copper will naturally age as she wears it and she said she didn't care-she liked it just the way it is. I thought she would get a kick out of it and she must have-she wore it all weekend and only took it off to go swimming!

There are more exciting things in the works, but I can't share them just yet. Soon, though, I promise! It's turned out to be a very busy summer.

4 comments:

LindaSonia said...

Love love the birdy pendant.... lucky friend! :-) LindaSonia (baddabinda@yahoo.com)

Penny Rabbit said...

Oh my, love your bird pendant. It's absolutely beautiful! What a lucky friend!

Jeanne said...

This is TOO cute! Can I be your friend too???????

Lauri said...

Congratulations on the book! That is so cool!

And that little bird and nest of eggs is adorable!