Tuesday, September 07, 2010

100 Years of PNE

The PNE (Pacific National Exhibition), which is our fair turned 100 years old this year. As a result, they had some fabulous entertainment come play the fair, one of which was The Little River Band, one of my husband's all time favourite bands.

A couple weeks before the fair opened, we got a flyer in the mail detailing what acts would be playing. We were sitting in our living room and I was reading them off to him. When I got to Little River Band, he said "Oh year right!" implying that I was shining him on. So I said "WHY would I make something like that up?! If you don't believe me, see for yourself." I handed him the flyer so he could see it was true. He had to admit he was wrong. *grins*

The concert was fabulous-we managed to get great seats and LRB sounded fantastic. They put on a good show and I've fallen in love with "A Cool Change" all over again. I really must go download it from iTunes!

Aside from attending the concert, we got to wander around the fair and take in some other show. I always enjoy seeing all the art. The sandcastles are always impressive.

How meticulous is this?!

I loved this one. The soft sand gently brushed on the shapely behind of this mermaid was perfection. I have great admiration for people who can sculpt like this with sand. It's impressive.


This is a water fountain that I found amusing. What a great way to repurpose old broken instruments!


This crow was cool. It's too bad they all but buried this exhibit in the back of the home improvement building. I am sure most people missed it.



If I am quiet the next couple of days it's because my wrist is cracked (again) and causing me grief. I've ignored it as long as I could but tomorrow I have to go and have a new splint brace custom made. I have an old one which was made a year ago when I fractured the bone the first time but it's no longer comfortable. I don't know which hurts worse- cracking my wrist or being forced to spend $100 on a brace to heal it. When I think of all the art supplies $100 would buy...*sniff*



Anyway, I'll be back soon! In the meantime, check out Zaac Pick and then head over to iTunes and download his album Fierce Wind. (There's a link on his sidebar.) He's lovely and if you need another reason to like him, he's also Canadian!

No comments: