Sunday, December 19, 2010

Dispatch From the North

I thought things would slow down in the studio (and by extension, my life) towards the end of the year, but apparently, I am destined to be busy right up to (and perhaps well beyond) the last days of 2010. Not that I am complaining-I am more than happy to be engaged in things that challenge and amuse me. I just find myself saying "After I get x, y and z done, I will have time to do another project or work on another idea." It always feels like it's feast or famine in the art world-either I'm happily swamped with projects, or nothing's happening. Again, not complaining, just observing. Given my druthers, I'd rather be super busy. I'm someone who likes to be in the thick of things.

I got together with my pal Penn this morning to exchange gifts and this is the ROD journal I made for her. She loves blues, greens and purples. I've had this fabric (a scant fat 1/4) for about 15 or so years, hoarding it for "just the right project". The print is called "Picasso's Puzzle". I thought it was perfect for her, so I finally used it. There was just enough to do both the inside and outside covers.

There are three signatures inside, chock full or stitching and interesting bits. I was pleased that she liked it and she said she'd signed up for Mary Ann Moss' class. As I've said before, it's one of the best I've ever taken. The journals are highly addictive to make and I get alot of pleasure out of making them for friends. I find sewing paper really relaxing. It's sort of meditative. If you go here, you will see how uber cool this can be. I suggest watching it on the "slideshow" setting.

Penn and I and a few friends are going away in the new year for a weekend in Pt. Roberts to have an art retreat. Everyone's bringing their own project to work on and I am taking my sewing machine and sewing pages for some new journals. It something I can do while chatting with friends-no concentration required. I hope to get a stack of pages completed. My friend Tracy, whom I met in the ROD class sent me a signature's worth of pages in an exchange and I'd like to sew enough to make two more signatures, for a journal's worth.

In the meanwhile, I am still working on art pieces for a book, which are due at the end of the month (EEK!) and preparing for the holidays and hosting the 4th annual 12 Days of Xmas exchange which is going along swimmingly-go peek for yourself. Click the button on my sidebar to be instantly transported. *wink*

So, if things are a bit quiet around here in the next few days, you'll know it's because I am just working towards deadlines, opening pressies and making holiday memories with my guys and dear friends. I know some Bloggers feel the need to apologise for not posting from time to time, especially when life gets busy, but I'm not one of them. I think it's silly to feel guilty and apologetic for being out living our lives, instead of being chained to our computers. I'd much rather we get out and do things. That way, it stands to reason that we actually have something to share when we sit down to blog. Non?

I wish YOU, my friends, the happiest of holidays, whichever way you choose to celebrate. Travel safely and have fun! I'll be back before the end of the year-you can count on it!

No comments: