Monday, November 01, 2004

Rainy day

Ah Mondays, either you love 'em or you hate 'em. I kind of like them-it's the day that everyone clears out of the house and I can have peace and quiet. Usually, the trade off is some tidying up after a weekend of family life.

It's whizzing down here and cold, the perfect day to stay home, put my favourite CDs in the stereo and make some art. An online friend, Celine just moved to eastern Canada last week. She came from France and is here so her boyfriend can learn English. I decided to make her a housewarming piece of art that I am mailing to her this afternoon. The art is a collage on canvass called "Je me souviens". It's the motto of Quebec where she has moved to and what it means, literally is "I will remember". The sentiment is that the people of Canada come from many nations around the world and it expresses the desire to honour where you come from, to not forget your heritage, while celebrating your place in Canada. I used an image from Celine's own collage sheet collection and added a vintage page from Petit Larousse which was a staple dictionary/encyclopedia used in Canadian schools in the 1950's. I wanted to marry the past and the present, Canada and France for her in this collage. I also added a compass to represent her journey and sense of adventure and a Fleur de Lis, a symbol popular in both Quebec and France which represents perfection, light and life. I hope she will like it!

No comments: