Wednesday, May 11, 2005

How Much is Enough?

My walk-in closet is a disaster so I decided to clean it out this morning. I am about 3/4 of the way done. In the course of tidying up, I have come to the conclusion that I just have way too much "stuff". Mainly an overabundance of paper/ephemera that I have no hope of every using up. I just somehow keep accumulating bits. I guess it's from looking at things and thinking "There is no garbage when you do altered art." (At least that's what I keep telling my students.) It's true, of course, but there comes a point when there is a fine line between saving something for future art use and obsessive hoarding. I fear crossing into outright hoarding territory.

So, to that end, I have emailed a couple of friends to see if they would like some of my excess. I am a firm believer that I am merely a steward of my stuff and that by letting something go, I make room for other stuff to come into my life. There is never a time where I have too little that I can't share something. So..I am about to release some of this stuff to other artsy pals who can enjoy it. I know I love it when I get goodies in the mail so that alone is a good reason to parcel it up and mail it off.

That's my project for today-gathering up all the bits that I can part with and getting them ready to go to new homes. The funny part is that I tend to do this about every two months, proving the point that more stuff inevitably comes in. (It's a good thing.) I am beginning to see my home as a weigh station for artsy bits. LOL! At this rate, I am going to become the queen of art RAKs. Maybe at some point, I will see if anyone wants to trade. Surely I can't be the only one who has too much?!

No comments: