This is a Galileo Thermometer. We have one. It's amazingly accurate and so pretty. Or rather it was...
Last night at about 9:30 p.m. I got up to close our living room window and put the security bar in the track. Somehow the bar slipped out of my hand and struck our Galileo, smashing it into a million pieces. It was bad, really bad for a number of reasons.
First, there was glass everywhere, since the structure is made of glass, as are the temperature balls. Then there was all the liquid from inside the structure. If anyone has one of these and thinks it's just water, guess again. It's not. It's a mixture of parrifin and petroleum which makes it both greasy AND smelly-it reeks like kerosene. So not only was I dealing with glass, and wet, but the wet was enough to give anyone an instant migraine. (Which it did.)
Add to all that that my work table, covered in art projects was right below where the Galileo was sitting on the window sill and you can imagine what came out of my mouth at that moment. It took half an hour of washing things down with soapy water, moving furnature, picking up shards, vacuuming and throwing out things that were ruined. Thank god my husband was there to help or it would have taken me ages.
Needless to say, I now have to redo all the art that was ruined. *sigh*