Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Learning Curve

So this is what I am facing this morning-a blank 8x8 canvass. Teesha made 8x8 canvasses the art challenge for Artfest this year. When I bought my canvass way back in November, I thought "No big deal!" Boy was a wrong!

I have been fiddling with it since 5 a.m. and nothing. It's not that I don't have good ideas, it's just that I have discovered that I am not good with big pieces. I know 8x8 probably doesn't seem large to some of you, but to me, it's huge! I find it amusing since one of my closest artist friends has the exact opposite problem-she can't work small. So here I am, struggling with the size of this piece and getting nowhere.

It's funny what you learn about yourself through art. For example, I know I am not a painter. I just don't have that talent. I excell at collage. Give me paper and I am good to go. I am excellent with colour, balance and placement. I can't draw to save my life. Today I have learned that for me, scale matters. I am not good with large pieces but I can do worders working small.

So how I am going to meet the 8x8 challenge? I am going to buy four 4 x 4 canvasses, work on each one individually and then meld them together to make an 8x8 canvass! (Have I mentioned that I have incredible problem solving skills?!? *wink*) Being an artist is not always easy. Sometimes it requires you to use your creative skills to find a workable solution to the things that you find challenging. If you relax and trust in the process, the answers will come.

5 comments:

Shari Beaubien said...

LOL... This is the PERFECT solution, Lelainia! And I have no doubt that whatever you come up with will be lovely. As for jumping up in size, it's always a challenge the first time - for me anyway. After completing one or two in the next biggest size, it gets easier! Hugs, Shari

liz said...

you are SO clever!! graet thinking==i love it!
how are you doing? thinking of you
liz xx

lindaharre said...

Just goes to prove the old adage....size matters....ha..ha!

One Crabapple said...

That is SO TRUE. Sticking with it and TRUSTING YOURSELF is what !!! And hey ! I love that idea of using the four by fours....I actually thought of that TOO! I have mine staring back at me with the clock ticking in the background....yes yes ... okay YES I KNOW !!! I will I will ! (that is me, talking to my canvas)

One Crabapple said...

Linda....laughing ! laughing laughing !