Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Whispers from the Past

This morning I was getting things together to photocopy for a class I am teaching tomorrow and I thought I would get my cabinet cards together to colour copy for Nina Bagley's class at Artfest. While I was busy making mock ups, I happened to flip this card over and saw this:



It reads: "Camp Meeting, John Allen, age 91 years, March 7, 1886. Camp Meeting" What are the chances that I would happen to notice this on the back of this card exactly 121 years to the day it was taken? WOW! And can you believe that man is 91 years old? He doesn't look it! Amazing!



Out of curiosity, I looked up camp meetings and this is what I found:
"A camp meeting* in those days was a most important event, and anticipated with intense interest by the settlers far and near. Different motives actuated people to attend camp meetings, and the same rule will apply to all such occasions of later date. Some go out of courtesy, to see and be seen, others regard it as a season of rest and diversion, while many embrace the occasion to gossip, exchange news, see the latest fashions, and make new acquaintances."

*This was usually a gathering of the faithful.



Well Mr. Allen, you certainly made my day, if for no other reason than by reaching out through time and space to make yourself known to me. 91 years! We should all be so lucky.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool L! I hope I look this good at that age!

beth said...

How cool is that ??? Plus, don't you just love cabinet cards, well, just because ????

Those wish tickets.....well, a roll is coming to my house as I ordered them yesterday with some other goodies from Anahata. I decided to go with the cream colored ones....deciding between the pink and the blue was too hard.

I bought the Cavallini bird/egg stickers and they are wonderful...so I'm sure the stamp set would be fabulous !!!!

Kris said...

That is very cool! No coincidence.
Love hearing stuff like this!

maggiegracecreates said...

I love this card. OUr local Methodist group has "Camp Meeting" still during the month of August. Sevral of my friends go as an entire family and take grandkids and great gramma. It is a social -worshipful atmosphere.

Hope I look that good at 91 too.

MB Shaw said...

I love the synchronicity of your reading the comment on its anniversary. How special.

Shari Beaubien said...

This is such a terrific story, Lelainia! Thanks for posting it... you made me smile! Hugs, Shari