Sunday, May 20, 2007

It's All About ME!

Copyright Tattereded Edge 2007

Deb would like me to share 7 things about myself. (I think after this, I have run out of obscure tidbits about me.)

Okay here goes nothing:

1. I love living near the ocean. I love the briny smell of it and the sound of waves crashing. I love sailing on it and swimming in it. I love beach combing for shells, sea glass and rocks. I enjoy discovering which critters have been left behind in tidal pools and feeling the sand between my toes.

2. I believe I am my best self when I am helping someone. I think one of the keys to life is figuring out what your soul's mission is. I know without a doubt that mine is to be a comforter. The one thing I cannot abide is suffering. It's instinctual for me to move to do something to help when I see someone in pain. People often tell me that I always know the right thing to say. That's something that comes from beyond me. It's a blessing and I am grateful for it. It allows me to connect with people when they need it most. It's in those moments when my soul is utterly satisfied. What's your gift? What fulfills your soul?

3. My favourite art of all time is folk art. It's wonky and simple and therein lies the charm. My favourite colour pallet is folk art tones: patriot blue, old barn red, mustard gold, olive, buttermilk white, soot black.

4. I love going to the movies. It's not enough to rent DVDs and watch at home. I like the whole experience of sitting in a big dark theatre and getting lost in the story being told. (And I am addicted to the popcorn-movie popcorn is my crack.) I pay attention to how the music is scored too-I don't know that most people really do that.

5. I absolutely hate slapstick comedy. I don't like someone doing something for cheap laughs or the dumbing down of humour. I will admit to loving gallows humour-I will find something to laugh about in the worst situations. (Several of my closest friends can attest to that-one minute something completely awful and traumatic is happening and the next we are laughing till it hurts.)

6. I love to write. When I was in elementary school, I attended a writer's conference several times. (I actually had to write a book in order to be chosen to attend.) I have had several poems published both in the Winnipeg Free Press (the big paper from my hometown) and also in an anthology. When I was a kid, I thought I would grow up to become a journalist. HA! Now I just blog and write occasionally for Zines.

7. My current obsessions: wooden handled rubber stamps, Moleskine journals, number related ephemera, small handmade books, charms, hands for displaying art with, vintage textiles, pincushions, stickers made from my artwork.

Okay, I am done! Now I am off to finish signing my ATCs for the monthly swap in Vancouver this afternoon. It's pouring rain so I can't think of a better way to spend the afternoon then hanging out with friends, swapping art, talking art and sipping a chai latte. Tomorrow is a holiday, so happy Victoria Day to my fellow Canadians!


1 comment:

CaBaCuRl said...

Hi Tattered Edge, I also live near the ocean, same ocean as you I think, and had waited about 45 years to do so.I adore beach glass too and was wondering what, if anything, you do with it.