Sunday, February 24, 2008

Doing What You Love



Thanks to everyone who came out to my Altered Book Workshop at Place des Arts yesterday. Wasn't that a lovely day? For those of you not familiar with Place des Arts, it's the arts and music center in Coquitlam, BC. The building is fairly new-they did a major add-on a couple of years ago in addition to renovating the historical buildings on the property. It's light and airy, with plenty of workspace. It's a great venue to teach at.

The classroom I held my workshop in yesterday was on the main floor, facing the courtyard area of the the property, so the view was trees, the grass and park benches. Yesterday was warm and sunny-just gorgeous, so we were able to open all the windows and have a gentle breeze waft in. It was just like spring! In addition to that, there are violin lessons that go on on Saturdays, so all day long we were being serenaded by pretty music, just loud enough to be appreciated. It was like a little slice of heaven! At one point, I said to my students "Man, I just HATE my job!" and we all laughed. I think I have the best job ever-I get to do what I love, meet interesting people and have wonderful experiences and opportunities. It's amazing what happens to your life when you embrace the work of your heart. The Shakers have a saying "Whatsoever the hand finds to do, the heart shall go forth in unison." Amen! to that, I say!

So now I'm on a bit of a break workshop-wise till Spring Break rolls around. I have another article to write, design work and a couple of projects on the go and prep for Artfest to keep me busy in the meantime. April is the Studio Tour so I'll be getting ready for that too. Hmm..did I say break?!? *grins* The last 7 weeks have been crazy busy, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Now I'm just working on tidying up my studio and putting everything back where it belongs so I can move on to the next thing first thing tomorrow morning. It's another beautiful day so the window is open and a light breeze is coming in. You would hardly know it's February-it feels like May. I hope things are good in your little corner of the world.

No comments: