Thursday, April 25, 2013

Catching Up


Always on My Mind

I am very lucky: my son gave me an iPhone as an early Mother's Day gift. I wasn't in the market for one, really, but my old phone, a 6 year old LG Chocolate Spin (which I loved and was the top of the line in touch phones when I bought it) had pretty much given up the ghost. It was no longer holding a charge and my son knew this, so he decided it was time I got an upgrade. I love it though it's going to take some getting used to the phone part-I liken it to talking on a calculator. It's just a bit odd.

I am having fun figuring out how to use the camera along with various photography apps and at long last, I've joined the rest of the world on Instagram. I've been trying to make a link button for the sidebar of my blog, but the hotlink for it refuses to work so I've put that on hold for a bit while I mull over why it's not linking properly. Eventually I'll figure it out. In the meantime, I'm under Tatterededge if you want to link up there. I've got a grand total of two photos posted so far, but there will be more soon!

In other news, I am super excited to share that I will be one of the featured subscribers in the next issue of Uppercase. (#18!) If you're not familiar, there are usually 3 subscribers featured in each issue with a little interview of about half a dozen questions. Editor Janine Vongool put a call out and I thought "Why not?" So there you have it! 

I am also happy to report that the first ever Canadian NMO 5 km walk/run is up to 250 registered participants! This is really wonderful and I am so pleased for Nancy Reimer, who is organizing the event. It's so wonderful to know so many people care and are willing to show up and support those of us living with NMO. 

I am also thrilled  to share that MV-1 Canada has kindly and generously stepped up as a corporate sponsor. THANK YOU MV-1!!! They are a lovely bunch of people, committed to making a difference in the lives of people who live with disabilities and we really appreciate their support. In case you missed it, they've put together an inspiring e-book, Life Without Compromise which you can download for free here. I am very proud to be a part of it. MV-1 Canada can be found on both Twitter and Facebook, so please show them some love.

There is still time to register for the walk/run. More info about the event can be found here and you can sign up here. If you are unable to attend and would like to make a pledge, you can do so here. Pledges in any dollar amount are greatly appreciated! On the day of the walk, I will be volunteering and speaking briefly during the welcoming. Please come by and say hello!

Other than that, I am busy writing articles and volunteering. I'm volunteering for the first time politically. Someone I know quite well is running in our provincial election and I thought it would be an interesting experience.

I am also busy prepping for the Interprofessional Health Mentors Symposium out at UBC on Monday. My students and I are going to be presenting what we've learned as a group so far. I am looking forward to seeing what the other groups have been up to as well. Members of the public are invited to attend so if you'd like to see what we've been up to, here are the details: 

Date: Monday, April 29th, 2013
Time: 6:30-7:30 pm 
Location: In the West Atrium, 
Life Science Centre, 
2350 Health Sciences Mall,
 UBC Campus 

The 2012-2013 pilot project includes 51 health mentors and 200 students from nine different health professional programs (audiology, dentistry, dietetics, medicine, nursing, occupation therapy, pharmacy, physical therapy and speech-language pathology). At the symposium, the groups summerize and share their learning with other UBC students, faculty and community. The event includes poster board displays by each of the 51 groups and the opportunity for guests to talk with students and mentors about their experiences in the program. Guests can also learn more about this new initiative and how they might get involved.

No comments: