Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Scenes from Mother's Day

I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day. Mine was spent being spoiled! We started out at Stanley Park. It was sunny, but super windy on the 3rd Beach side where we planned to walk the sea wall. (See the whitecaps?)Too windy to be a comfortable walk, so we drove over to the aquarium side of the park.

We decided to go in, which we only do about every 2-3 years as it's quite expensive. ($55 for the three of us!) We enjoyed it though-there was so much to see. I love the giant sea anemonies-the colurs are spectacular and they look like alien flowers. The unfortunate thing is, the glass is always smudged so it's hard to get good photos. I tried!


I enjoyed seeing this little octopus. They strike me as being wise somehow. There was a guy standing in front of this tank sketching him and he really was quite good.


Jelly fish! These are so cool. They float etherally in their tanks and it's so interesting to watch them-almost meditative.


Sea turtle! I was amazed at the size of this one. It was swimming around with the sharks and was perfectly happy. I guess nothing messes with a sea turtle! I didn't take any photos of the belugas this time though they are my favourites.

After the aquarium, we went to the Old Spaghetti Factory in Gastown for a late lunch. It's one of our favourite places to eat. I always enjoy looking at all the antiques.


Isn't this fun? I love the script they used on it. You should see the stained glass and Tiffinay lamps they have. There is a huge round piece of stained glass with an empire crown on it that they have backlit. It's amazing, but with the lighting being what it is in there, it's impossible to get decent photos.

Anyway, after lunch we came home for a bit and then went to the movies to see The Visitor which I really enjoyed. It's a beautifully written movie about illegal immigrants in the US, post 9/11. The story doesn't get tied into a nice little bow at the end as you would expect, which I liked. Life can be messy and it's refreshing when Hollywood can make a movie that makes you think but doesn't try to tell you what to think. It's worth seeing.

On the good news front, I am going to be heading down to the US in a couple of weeks with friends and I am getting that Flip Video! Yes indeedy! I can hardly wait!

On a final note for today, if you need a dose of eyecandy and soem food for though, check out the newly uploaded One Word Challenge pieces at Artsmiths!

1 comment:

MB Shaw said...

Can't wait to see your flippin videos. Your Mother's Day looks perfect, soooo pretty.