Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day 2009

So my perfect Mother's Day began with bacon and eggs for brekki, followed by presents. My son gave me the 1st season of "Rescue Me" on dvd, which I love and also a card from Indy (my fur baby) with a Starbucks gift card inside. The cards cracked me up-my son knows I like funny cards (not mushy ones) and the one from Indy was a surprise.



After breakfast, we packed a picnic lunch and drove into Vancouver to go to my beloved Stanley Park. The tide was out today, so we were able to take the steep steps down the side of the seawall and wander the beach. One thing we all love to do is beachcomb. I think we'd be happy doing that on any given day, more than anything else in the world.

Here's a section of the seawall where we were walking. When the tide's out, the entire thing is totally encrusted with mussels and seaweed. It's really quite something to look as far down as you can see and millions of mussels are clinging to the wall.

See what I mean? It's like this for miles and miles!

Carver and I always take our cameras and poke around seeing what's worth shooting. It's something we enjoy doing together and Mother Nature never disappoints us.


I like the colour in this one. It was a random log on the tideline that had rusted out steel mesh attached to it.



The scuba diver, as I've mentioned in post about Stanley Park before. Today the rock is sitting right out of the water. You can see by the tide marks how high the water usually is.


The horse drawn tours of the park going by. Indy was taken with the horses. I think he thinks they are just big dogs.



Downtown Vancouver. The sails in the background is the convention center. We get lots of cruise ships docking in the inner harbour. There's a seaplane dead centre getting ready for take off.





We stopped and had our picnic lunch at the Totem Poles. These are new totem sections that have recently been added. There are much bigger totems in the center of this area that have been there for years. I really like the colours and the moon faces.




Another new totem section. I think these new pieces are so beautiful. The totem area is where most of the tour busses pull in for photo ops for the tourists. You can just stand in this area of the park and quite literally watch the world go by.



This is the aquarium area of the park where you can get a free sneak peek at some of what's inside. We took Indy down to see the seals and the belugas. He's got his nose pressed right up against the glass. Just a little higher up is the waterline and he was trying to stand up on his hind legs so he could see above the water. (He's a water dog through and through.) This is the first time he's seen seals. I bet he'd have jumped right in if he'd been able to.

Oh and if you're wondering what's on his back, it's his backpack, though it's askew. He carries his water bowl and treats when we go for hikes or long walks. (Everyone carries their own weight in this family!)

The weather was beautiful today-warm without being too hot and there was a breeze along the water. We're home now, briefly and then the guys are taking me out for dinner to our favourite restaurant. Then all our favourite shows are on tonight so that will be a nice way to wrap up the day.


Happy Mother's Day to all you mums out there!























4 comments:

Sherry said...

I love coming here for a "tour"!! Your Mother's Day sounded wonderful...not just because someone made you breakfast, but because you spent a full family day (I love that the dog carries his own backpack!!), doing things that you love.

The new totem section looks amazing...I can still see in my mind's eye (and photographs if I go and get my albums!)the ones that have been there "forever".

Bettyann said...

Haven't seen the new totem poles yet..look interesting.Thanks for the tour..Happy Mother's Day to u also..take care

Winchester Manor said...

Hi Lelainia,
I saw your comment on Heather's blog and just wanted to let you know I appreciate your comment and thought the last paragraph was exceptionally powerful.

It's so true! What people fail to understand is that by helping and supporting each other we all win and that covers all areas of life! You stay on your soap box, more people need to speak the truth!

Colette George said...

I couldn't help but think of a story I posted on my site when seeing the picture of your lab with the pack on his back. So cute. We have a black lab named Pearl, she's sweet and nutty.

enjoying your blog.
take care,
Colette