Monday, July 16, 2012

Catching Up

Warehouse

The busy trend continues! Saturday I spent the day at part two of Peer Support training for the MS Society. I gave a presentation on crisis and suicide intervention to a group of about 20 or so people. It was challenging to get everything I wanted to share into the brief hour I had, but several people approached me afterwards and gave me really positive feedback, so I am glad to know they felt it was helpful. Sometimes you just have to work with what you've got.

Not only was I presenting, but I was also finishing up my induction to the Peer Support program and I earned my certificate. It will be good to dust off my crisis line skills and put them to use once again. It's work I love doing and I know how difficult my first year was following my diagnosis, so I am more than happy to reach out to others who are newly diagnosed.

The MS Society gave me a thank you card afterward and when I got home and opened it, there was a gift card inside for Chapters. It was totally unexpected, but I really appreciated it! Yesterday, while running errands, I used it to treat myself to this book:


I started reading it last night. It's a fairly thick book and it does an excellent job of explaining the various techy things you need to know about using a DSLR camera in layman's terms. I've already learned alot in the first 5 pages. In addition to practical instruction, there are chapters on shooting specific things and tons of ideas for doing so creatively. It's a nice mix of technical and creative and I think it was an excellent choice. I'm going to try and read through it before YAYOM Whistler.

Meanwhile, we're only a week out from the opening of the Papergirl exhibit. The deadline for art submissions is in 2 days. I spent yesterday working on mine and they are ready for delivery when I go to our final meeting on Wednesday. It's been a busy 6 months preparing for this project. If you are local, please come join us at the Roundhouse for the official opening on Tuesday, July 24th from 7-9pm. It's a great opportunity to meet fellow creatives and see some amazing art! The exhibit will be up from July 23rd-27th.

Today I am busy writing articles. Deadlines are looming!

No comments: