Wednesday, December 31, 2014

As 2014 Fades to Black

Contrary to popular belief, I have not fallen off the face of the earth! I've just been super busy not only with the usual holiday hustle and bustle, but also reviewing 24 grants for the Canadian MS Society. It's alot of very concentrated reading and then equally thoughtful writing. I've managed to get all 24 reviews written and after New Year's I will work on editing what I've written. It's challenging but interesting work.



In between times, I have also managed to steal some time to make myself something! Two weeks ago, I decided I really wanted to make myself a journal for 2015. I took a really old book I'd been saving and started working on transforming it. I bought it originally because it was small, (I love books that fit comfortably in the palm of my hand) it was leather and it had some cool gold hinges printed on the cover.

As I began pulling it apart, I realised that this book was printed in 1914, making it 100 years old this year! Really cool! The middle photo is of the journal lying open to show some of the pages I sewed in. It's about an inch and a half thick. I love a good chunky monkey journal. 

The final photo is how I altered the cover. The photo on the cover is actually a vintage photograph I picked up in an antique store. I loved the strong women of various generations standing in their garden. It called to my prairie roots. I didn't feel bad about using an original photograph because 1. this journal is mine and 2. oddly enough, there were several of the exact same photo in the pile when I bought it, so I bought them all.  I've already been working in my 100 year old journal! (It was just too hard to resist!)



I have begun preparing for my trip to Toronto in late January. (I am flying out to TO for 3 days to meet with the Grants Review committee.)  Unlike the west coast, Toronto has snow. Being a Winnipegger, born and raised, I know all about snow so I knew I would have to get myself a decent pair of winter boots. Before the holidays, I decided to pop into a store just to see what they had. I looked at aisles of the most ridiculous boots-boots that were basically "fashion" boots-not warm and with heels high enough that if you hit a patch of black ice, you were just spoiling for a fractured ankle. NO THANK YOU!


Anyway, getting down to the end of the aisle, I spotted some boots that looked like they would do. They were mostly black with a hint of lime green trim and really good tread. I found my size, opened the box and was surprised to find the exact same pair, but in buffalo plaid!! I love buffalo plaid!! Of course I had to have them and I got the last pair in the store.


(Photo credit Delish General Store)

 The funny thing was that Delish General Store had a buffalo plaid infinity scarf I had been coveting for forever. My husband know this was on my Xmas wish list so Tamara, owner of Delish General Store was able to make sure he got the right one when he came in to buy it for me. I am now suitably outfitted for TO! I shall be warm and toasty! (And stylish!) I am laughing about the boots because living on the west coast where we don't get weather warranting the wearing of snow boots very often, (if at all) my new boots will last me for a very long time. Good thing I love them!


What would Xmas be without a new toy to play with? My son and his girlfriend very sweetly gave me a Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 in vintage aqua. (Pictured on the left.) It's prints credit card sized photos (3 3/8 tall x 2 1/8 wide) which are the perfect size for adding into a journal. The camera is very light weight, since it's made from plastic and measures about 4 1/2 inches square. I think it will tuck nicely into my carry-on bag for my trip. 

Tonight marks a special occasion-my husband and I are celebrating the 25th anniversary of our first date. It's hard to believe that happened a quarter of a century ago. Man, I feel old! In typical Canadian fashion, our first date took place at a hockey rink, watching the Canucks vs. Philadelphia game. (My husband is a huge Philly fan.) We were fated to be together.

Truth be told, I had the best intentions of writing some end of the year, sum-it-all-up post, but just never seemed to find the time to do it, so this will have to do. I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to leave me comments over the last year-I appreciate it! I want to wish you a happy, healthy, creative 2015 and may we all continue to find ways to make this world a better place.

Here's to 2015-may she be a good one!

3 comments:

George Wright said...

I think this is a really lovely tie up for the year. it's in the now. the eternal now, with just the hint of preparing for tomorrow - or Toronto, as the case may be. All blessings to you in 2015. Rose

Seth said...

That journal already looks amazing...and the year has just started. Best wishes on your travels to Toronto and for the meeting. And sending thoughts for a very happy, creative and HEALTHY 2015!

bettyann said...

Happy New Year to you. The journal looks amazing. I enjoy reading your blog.